BJJ Nutrition Tips: Supplementing with Creatine Monohydrate


My current training schedule involves a short (but intense) Kettlebell session 4 times per week plus at least 2 technical gi sessions and two (shorter) sparring sessions.

It's not much compared to what some professional fighters do. But then again, I'm not a professional fighter!

Nevertheless, this schedule leaves my knackered! Once I'm warmed up and rolling, I feel fine but I feel that I'm always walking around tired. So I did some research into the subject:
  1. I Googled "Recovery Grappling Nutrition" and "Wrestling Recovery Research" and followed a few of the (sciencey-type) links
  2. I had a chat with my manager at work who is into Triathlons! I figured if anyone will know a lot about recovery it's going to be someone who does three sports!
  3. I took a long hard look at my daily habits
The fruit of my labour was:
  1. I wasn't drinking enough water
  2. I wasn't eating good pre- nor post-workout snacks
  3. I looked at supplements as something of a luxury (only for pro-athletes)
  4. I wasn't getting enough sleep
  5. I almost never stretched
So, not one to waste any time, I put the following into place:
  1. I took a 1 litre bottle to work and left it on my desk for daily refill
  2. I bought a tin of Creatine Monohydrate from Holland & Barrett for £10!
  3. I started drinking a small glass of milk immediately after my kettlebell sessions
  4. I started stretching for short periods thru-out the day!
  5. I started getting to bed earlier
I will keep you posted on the outcome.
PS. If you want to see the update on this subject click here.

No comments: